Sleep Medicine Literature Review
AAOP Mid-Year Symposium
on Sleep Medicine & Orofacial Pain
The American Academy of Orofacial Pain
Leaders in Sleep and Pain Sleep Medicine Literature Review
Under the Direction of the AAOP Sleep Medicine Committee
Saturday November 2, 2019 in Chicago, IL • Hilton Hotel at the O’Hare International Airport • 8:00 AM-4:00 PM
Introduction / Goals:
This course is designed to review the current literature as it relates to the field of sleep medicine and specifically to the role of the dentist. A variety of current and relevant articles from various journals will be selected for review. In addition other articles of similar relevance will be cited. The ultimate goal is for the participant to have a more in depth and up-to-date understanding of the current literature. The articles that will be reviewed will be made available to those enrolled approximately one month prior to the meeting. Other articles that will be referenced will be made available in abstract form following the course. The material is applicable to anyone who wants to expand their knowledge regardless of one’s experience.
- Oral Appliances for the Management of OSA: An Updated Review of the Literature CHEST 2017 – Isabel Moreno Hay, DDS, PhD
- Sitting is the New Smoking: Impact on Health Report from the CDC AJPH Perspectives 2018 – David Austin, DDS, MS
- Nocturnal Intermittent Hypoxia Is Independently Associated with Pain in Subjects Suffering from Sleep-disordered Breathing Anesthesiology Nov 2013 –
Aurelio Alonso, DDS, MS, PhD
- Polysomnographic Endotyping to Select Obstructive Sleep Apnea Patients for Oral Appliance Annals ATS August 2019 –
Mariona Mulet Pradera, DDS, MS
- OxyDOSA article: Single Channel Oximetry for Mass Screening for OSA EClinicalMedicine 2019 – Steve Bender, DDS
- The Interfaces Between Vitamin D, Sleep and Pain J Endocrinology 2017; 234: T23-R36 – Elmer Villalon, DMD
- Multislice Computed Tomography Assessment of Airway Patency Changes Associated with Mandibular Advancement Appliance Therapy in Supine Patients with OSA Hindawi / Sleep Disorders 2019 – Massimiliano Di Giosia DDS
- Review – Adjourn
The format will be similar to the one utilized in the past. Articles will be selected based on various topics and discussed by a moderator and then discussion within the group of that article and other relevant literature along with individual perspective of the topic will take place. The discussion will take place for 50 to 60 minutes for each article chosen. Each article will be presented and reviewed in a power point format.
Registration: You may register for this meeting by selecting the following link: AAOP 2019 Symposium on Sleep Medicine & Orofacial Pain – 11/2/2019
Breakfast and Lunch will be provided to attendees
Please contact the AAOP office at 609-504-1311 or email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
The O’Hare Hilton located at the O’Hare International Airport in Chicago, IL.
The following are the overall objectives for this one-day experience:
- Have an update awareness of the sleep medicine literature which is pertinent to orofacial pain clinicians but not easily make found in the “day to day” scientific literature.
- Become more cognizant of the current literature in sleep medicine and how this impacts a dentist’s day-to-day practice of sleep medicine and orofacial pain
- Become more attentive of the relationship between sleep disorders and pain
- Be exposed to the wide variety of experiences and philosophic aspects of one’s peers through open discussion and debate
- Become further educated about sleep disorders and hence more knowledgeable to discuss sleep disorders and treatment options with your patients and physician colleagues
The American Academy of Orofacial Pain is a Nationally Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit.
Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement. Current Term 1/1/2015 – 12/31/2021. Provider AGD ID # 218197
Total credit educational hours being offered at this conference are 7. Each attendee should claim only those hours of credit that he/she actually spent in the education.
The AAOP is a continuing education provider in the state of California. Permit Number RP-4597